The best pot to cook rice depends on various factors such as personal preference, cooking method, and frequency of use.
Rice cookers and Instapots can cook rice efficiently, leaving the stovetop free for other dishes. However, a versatile stove pot is likely the best option for those who don't consume rice daily.
Investing in a dedicated rice cooker may be optional and could take up valuable space in the kitchen.
Therefore, here are some of the best pots for rice cooking for those who occasionally cook rice.
You May Also Like: Pink Rice Cooker [Our Top 4 Picks]
Best Pot To Cook Rice
1. Gotham Steel 5 Quart Stock Multipurpose Pot with Strainer Lid
The Gotham Steel 5 Quart Stock Multipurpose Pasta Pot is designed with Twist and Lock Handles and a Strainer Lid.
Although this is a pasta pot but it works wonderfully well with rice. You can strain out water quickly by twisting the handles without using a separate filter.
This versatile pot can be used for cooking various foods on the stove, and it includes two different straining sizes for fine and thicker foods.
The nonstick ceramic surface is reinforced with diamonds for ultimate food release and easy cleanup without seasoning or oil.
This pot is also healthy and eco-friendly, with a coating free of harmful chemicals like PFOA, PFOS, lead, and cadmium.
The durable surface is infused with diamonds, making it safe to use with metal utensils and suitable for years of nonstick use.
The pot is dishwasher safe and can be used in the oven up to 500°F. It is made of solid aluminum and ensures even heat distribution. A 10-year limited guarantee backs the cookware.
- Twist and Lock Handles for easy straining without a separate strainer.
- Multipurpose Pot suitable for cooking various foods on the stove and oven.
- 2 Straining Sizes to accommodate different types of food.
- Ultimate Ceramic Nonstick Surface coated three times and reinforced with diamonds for effortless food release and easy cleanup.
- Healthy and Non-Toxic with a coating free of harmful chemicals like PFOA, PFOS, lead, and cadmium.
- Metal Utensil Safe and durable enough to withstand using metal utensils, spatulas, spoons, whisks, and electric beaters.
- Effortless Cleanup, Dishwasher Safe for quick and easy cleanup.
- Oven Safe Up To 500° F suitable for all stovetops, except induction.
- Solid Aluminum Composition ensures even heat conductivity and distribution.
- 10 Year Guarantee to ensure years of use.
Pros and Cons
2. Staub Cast Iron Dutch Oven 5-qt Tall Cocotte
The Staub Cast Iron Dutch Oven is a 5-quart cocotte ideal for cooking soups, stews, braises, and deep-frying without splattering the stove.
It has a large capacity and a slim profile that stores efficiently and doesn't take up much stovetop space.
The textured black matte enamel interior requires no seasoning and ensures exceptional browning, heat retention, and distribution. The smooth enamel bottom of the cocotte works on all stovetops, including induction.
The cocotte has a heavyweight and tight-fitting lid that retains moisture, and the spikes on the lid create a rainforest effect that evenly returns juices back onto the food.
It is oven safe up to 500°F and can be washed in the dishwasher, although hand washing is recommended. This new shape of the Tall Cocotte is a taller version of the classic 4-quart cocotte, making it the ideal tool for cooking larger quantities.
The added height is handy for cooking bone-in meat cuts like crown roasts, layered dishes like tians, and dishes that rise, such as soufflés.
STAUB cookware is known for its exquisite craftsmanship, exceptional performance, and timeless beauty, and each cocotte can be lovingly passed down from generation to generation.
- 5-quart capacity suitable for serving 5-6 people
- Made of cast iron and manufactured in France
- Ideal for making soups, stews, braises, and deep-fried dishes
- Suitable for cooking tall bone-in cuts, layered dishes, and desserts that rise
- Large capacity and slim profile for efficient storage and minimal stovetop space
- Textured black matte enamel interior requires no seasoning
- Ensures exceptional browning, heat retention, and distribution
- Smooth enamel bottom works on all stovetops, including induction
- Heavyweight and the tight-fitting lid retains moisture
- Spikes on the lid create a rain-forest effect that evenly returns juices onto the food
- Oven safe up to 500°F
- Dishwasher safe, although hand washing is recommended
Pros and Cons
You May Also Like: Red Rice Cooker: 5 Options For Every Budget
3. GreenPan Lima Hard Anodized Healthy Ceramic Nonstick 5QT Stock Pot with Lid.
The GreenPan Lima Hard Anodized Healthy Ceramic Nonstick 5QT Stock Pot with Lid is an excellent choice for anyone who can easily cook healthy and delicious meals.
This pot features GreenPan's Thermolon healthy ceramic nonstick coating, free of PFAS, PFOA, lead, and cadmium, making it a safe and healthy choice for cooking.
One of the most notable features of this pot is its tough hard anodized body. This material is scratch-resistant and designed to withstand daily demands, ensuring that it will last for years.
It also helps to distribute heat evenly throughout the pot, ensuring that your food cooks evenly and doesn't burn or stick to the bottom.
Another great feature of this pot is its versatility. It is oven and broiler safe up to 600°F, allowing you to use it for cooking various dishes in the oven or on the stovetop.
The pot also comes with a durable glass lid that allows you to monitor your food as it cooks, making it easy to ensure that it cooks properly.
The pot's riveted stainless steel handle is contoured for a relaxed and comfortable grip, making it easy to move the pot from the stovetop to the oven or table.
While this pot is suitable for all stovetops except induction, its sleek gray appearance will complement any kitchen decor.
Overall, the GreenPan Lima Hard Anodized Healthy Ceramic Nonstick 5QT Stock Pot with Lid is an excellent choice for anyone looking to easily cook healthy and delicious meals.
It's nonstick coating, hard anodized construction, and oven-safe design make it a versatile and reliable addition to any kitchen.
However, it's important to note that this pot requires hand washing to ensure longevity.
- GreenPan Lima collection 5QT Ceramic Non-Stick Covered Casserole
- Thermolon healthy ceramic nonstick coating free of PFAS, PFOA, lead, and cadmium
- Hard anodized aluminum body that is scratch-resistant and durable
- Oven and broiler safe up to 600°F
- Glass lid that is oven safe up to 425°F for easy food monitoring
- Riveted stainless steel handle that is contoured for a comfortable grip
- Suitable for all stovetops except induction
- Lightweight design for easy handling
- Hand wash only
Pros and Cons
4. Aroma Housewares ARC-914SBD Digital Cool-Touch Rice Grain Cooker 4-Cup (Uncooked) / 8-Cup (Cooked)
The Aroma Housewares ARC-914SBD Digital Rice Cooker and Food Steamer is a versatile kitchen appliance that can cook various meals such as rice, soup, vegetables, and even cake.
With its user-friendly programming, the rice cooker is easy to use with four preset digital functions and an automatic Keep Warm mode when the cooking is finished.
The built-in steam function allows for nutrient-rich meals to be prepared above while rice, soup, or any other meal simultaneously cooks below, allowing you to save time without sacrificing quality.
The programmable delay timer is great for busy families, delivering delicious meals ready when needed up to 15 hours in advance.
Its compact capacity of 4-Cup (Uncooked)/8-Cup (Cooked) is perfect for preparing small individual meals or delicious side dishes.
The rice cooker comes with a Bonded Granite nonstick inner pot that is more durable than ceramic and traditional pots, has a completely toxic-free makeup, and is dishwasher safe.
The Aroma Housewares ARC-914SBD Digital Rice Cooker and Food Steamer is easy to clean up with its non-stick coated inner cooking pot, and all accessories remove for easy cleanup.
The rice cooker includes a steam tray, rice measuring cup, serving spatula, and exclusive recipes and coupons for Mahatma and Carolina Rice.
However, the rice must be cooked in a cup with the product, which could be inconvenient for some users. Moreover, the rice cooker is corded electric, so it needs to be plugged in for use, limiting its portability.
Nonetheless, the Aroma Housewares ARC-914SBD Digital Rice Cooker and Food Steamer is a perfect kitchen appliance that can make cooking more convenient and enjoyable.
- Multi-functional use for cooking rice, steaming vegetables, making soups and stews, and even baking cakes
- Easy-to-use digital programming with 4 preset functions and automatic Keep Warm mode
- Built-in steam function for nutrient-rich meals
- 15-hour delay timer for flexible meal planning
- Compact capacity of 4-cup (uncooked)/8-cup (cooked) for individual meals or side dishes
- Upgraded 8x Bonded Granite non-stick inner pot that is more durable than ceramic and traditional pots, and dishwasher safe
- Accessories included: steam tray, rice measuring cup, and serving spatula
- Power consumption of 120V/60Hz 450W
- Corded electric power source
- Dishwasher safe for easy cleanup.
Pros and Cons
How to cook the perfect rice
Cooking perfect rice requires the right amount of water, the right temperature, and the right timing.
Here are the steps to cook the perfect rice:
- Rinse the rice: Rinse the rice in cold water until the water runs clear. This helps remove excess starch and impurities from the rice.
- Measure the rice and water: Measure the rice and water according to the rice you are cooking. A general rule of thumb is to use 1.5 to 2 cups of water per 1 cup of rice.
- Bring to a boil: In a medium-sized saucepan, bring the water to a boil over high heat.
- Add rice to the boiling water, stir once, and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Cook the rice: Cook the rice on low heat for the recommended time, which varies depending on the type of rice. Do not lift the lid while cooking.
- Let the rice rest: Once the cooking time is complete, remove the pot from the heat and let the rice rest for 10-15 minutes. This allows the rice to absorb any remaining water and become tender.
- Fluff the rice: Use a fork to fluff the rice and break up any clumps.
- Serve: Serve the rice immediately as a side dish or as the base for a delicious meal.
Remember to adjust the amount of water and cooking time based on the type of rice you are using, and avoid lifting the lid while the rice is cooking.
You May Also Like: Proctor Silex Rice Cooker: Our Top 3 Picks
To cook rice, you need a good pot. The best pot for you depends on how often you cook rice, how you prepare it, and what you like.
Some people use a rice cooker or instant pot, but a normal pot is fine if you don't cook rice often.
You can use different pots, like metal or clay, and they all work differently. You can make perfect rice every time by choosing the right pot and following simple rules.