Staub is a reputable brand in the culinary industry, known for producing high-quality cookware that is both beautiful and functional.
One of their most popular products is the Staub rice cooker, which offers a unique blend of functionality, durability, and style.
This article will explore the features and benefits of the Staub rice cookers and provide an overview of the pros and cons of this product.
You May Also Like: Ambiano Rice Cooker: Our Top 2 Picks
Staub Rice Cooker Review
The Staub rice cooker is a beautifully designed piece of cookware that can perfectly cook rice, thanks to its unique design.
The pot is made from high-quality cast iron, which provides excellent heat distribution and retention.
This means the heat is evenly distributed across the pot, allowing the rice to cook evenly and thoroughly. The pot also has a tight-fitting lid, which helps seal the rice's moisture and flavor.
One of the most innovative features of Staub's cookware is the Chistera drop-structure lid that gathers condensation to shower moisture upon the delicious dish that simmers inside.
This design was inspired by Basque pelota players who use wicker basket chisteras to scoop up balls and hurl them quickly.
Another standout feature of the Staub rice cooker is its versatility. It can cook various dishes, from rice to stews, soups, and more.
Also, the Staub rice cooker is durable. Cast iron is known for its longevity; this pot is no exception.
It is designed to withstand high temperatures, making it ideal for cooking rice and other dishes requiring high heat.
The pot is also resistant to chipping and cracking, meaning it will last many years with proper care.
Despite its many benefits, the Staub rice cooker has some drawbacks. The pot is quite heavy, making it difficult to move around, especially when it is filled with hot food.
It is also quite expensive, which may be a barrier to some consumers on a tight budget.
Here are our top picks for the best staub rice cookers:
1. Staub Cast Iron 1.5-qt Petite French Oven
The Staub Cast Iron 1.5-qt Petite French Oven is a highly sought-after cookware.
This small but mighty cooking pot is designed with self-basting Chistera spikes that keep your food moist while cooking.
Thanks to its cast iron material, its exceptional heat distribution and retention are perfect for slow-cooking food to tender perfection and simmering hearty stews.
The matte black enamel interior also heats and enhances caramelization, allowing for excellent searing.
Its versatile design lets it go from the oven to your table, making it a great addition to your cookware collection.
What makes Staub cookware so exceptional is its textured enameled black matte interior that browns food beautifully without sticking.
The classic Staub lids are heavy-weight and tight-fitting to retain moisture, with tiny spikes on their interior creating a rainforest effect that evenly returns juices onto your food.
Aside from their cookware, Staub also offers high-quality ceramic dishes. The porcelain enamel glaze of their ceramics is designed to prevent moisture absorption during baking, keeping baked goods from drying out while diffusing heat gently and retaining heat exceptionally well.
They are oven and broiler safe up to 572°F, microwave safe, and dishwasher-safe, making them a convenient option for baking and serving straight to the table.
In addition to cookware and ceramics, Staub offers a range of tools, from spatulas and serving spoons to tongs and trivets.
Their tools are lovingly designed in France, offering the same quality and beauty as their cast iron and ceramics.
They are also ergonomically contoured for the ultimate comfort, making them practical and decorative for everyday use.
Here are the key features of the Staub Cast Iron 1.5-qt Petite French Oven:
- Self-basting Chistera spikes continuously keep food moist.
- Exceptional heat distribution and retention cast iron is famous for.
- Matte black enamel interior heats and enhances caramelization with excellent searing.
- Versatile design goes from oven to table.
- Enameled cast iron is easy to clean and doesn't require seasoning.
- Iconic Staub handles with ergonomic grip.
- The porcelain enamel glaze of STAUB ceramics prevents moisture absorption during baking.
- Oven and broiler safe up to 572°F.
- Exceptional heat distribution and retention, thanks to the cast iron material.
- The versatile design can go from oven to table for easy serving.
- Enameled cast iron is easy to clean and doesn't require seasoning.
- Highly durable and long-lasting, making it a good investment.
- The product is relatively expensive compared to other rice cookers on the market.
- The cast iron material is quite heavy, which may be inconvenient for some users.
2. Staub La Cocotte de Gohan Cherry
The Staub La Cocotte de Gohan is an authentic Japanese rice pot made to meet Japanese inspection standards, with a lifetime warranty and a unique serial number.
The pot's body is cast iron and enamel, while the knob is steel with nickel plating. The product is made in France and can be used with gas or in the oven but not with induction if the diameter is less than 4.7 inches (12 cm).
The unique feature of the La Cocotte de Gohan rice pot sets it apart from other rice cookers.
The pot boasts high heat retention and evenly distributes heat with its rounded form, which considers the convection when cooking rice.
The back of the lid is incorporated into chistera, which continuously rotates the entire heat without disturbing the heat, allowing the rice to cook thoroughly.
This design results in exquisite rice with a fluffy and glossy finish, making it a versatile kitchen tool that can be used for various dishes.
The pot can easily turn freshly cooked rice into a beautiful addition to your everyday dining table, reviving Japanese food culture with Staub's La Cocotte de Gohan.
The Staub La Cocotte de Gohan rice pot is an excellent investment for any rice lover. Its unique design and exceptional heat retention properties make it a top choice for perfectly cooked rice with a fluffy texture and glossy finish.
Its ability to cook various dishes besides rice and its beautiful aesthetic design make it a useful and elegant addition to any kitchen.
You May Also Like: Best Wolfgang Puck Rice Cooker: Options For Every Budget
The key features of the Staub La Cocotte de Gohan Rice Pot are:
- Capacity: The full capacity of the pot is 1.5 gal (0.75 L).
- Material: The body is cast iron (enameled), and the knob is made of steel (nickel plating).
- Compatible heat source: The pot is compatible with gas and oven; however, pots with a diameter of less than 4.7 inches (12 cm) may not be used with induction.
- High heat retention: The newly developed "La Cocotte de GOHAN" cast enameled pot boasts high heat retention.
- Even cooking: The rounded form of the pot considers convection when cooking rice, and the back of the lid is incorporated into chistera, so you can rotate the entire heat without disturbing the heat and cook rice at once.
- Versatile: The pot can be used for a variety of dishes.
- Fluffy and glossy finish: The pot can cook exquisite rice with a fluffy and glossy finish.
- Cast iron material and enameled finish for exceptional heat retention and even cooking.
- The rounded form and Chistera back lid design ensure fluffy and glossy rice.
- A versatile pot can be used for a variety of dishes.
- Its compact size make it easy to handle and store.
- Relatively expensive compared to other rice cookers on the market.
- Not suitable for all induction cookers.
3. STAUB Cocotte with Steamer
The Staub Cocotte with Steamer is designed to provide healthy and delicious cooking by storing heat and releasing it slowly and evenly.
Made from long-lasting and easy-to-clean cast iron, it is suitable for all types of cookers, including induction. Moreover, it is dishwasher-safe, making it convenient to clean.
Staub is a top brand used by many professional chefs worldwide. This cookware is designed for professionals and beginners who want to discover the benefits of healthy and tasty cooking.
Its dust humidification system is based on a drop structure spread across the entire surface inside the lid, ensuring a continuous "rain" of condensate on the food.
The Staub Cocotte with Steamer has the high-quality workmanship of the cocotte lid, allowing less condensation to escape during cooking.
This results in a self-moistening system that provides gentle and healthy cooking. Its cast iron material is durable and easy to clean, making it perfect for beginners and professionals.
Additionally, it is suitable for all types of cookers, including induction, and can be placed directly on the table from the hob.
- Made from long-lasting and easy-to-clean cast iron
- Suitable for all types of cookers, including induction
- Dishwasher safe
- Retains heat and releases it slowly and evenly
- Specially designed for healthy and delicious cooking
- Dust humidification system for better resistance to thermal shocks and higher scratch resistance
- The high-quality workmanship of the cocotte lid prevents condensation from escaping during cooking
- Self-moistening system ensures continuous "rain" of the condensate on the food
Pros and Cons
- The Staub Cocotte with Steamer is made from high-quality, durable cast iron designed to last for years.
- The unique dust humidification system allows for even moisture distribution during cooking, resulting in delicious and healthy meals.
- The self-moistening system ensures condensation stays inside the cocotte, leading to more flavorful dishes and less liquid waste.
- The cocotte is suitable for all heat sources, including induction, and can be used directly on the table.
- The dishwasher-safe feature makes for easy cleaning.
- The Staub Cocotte with Steamer is relatively expensive compared to other cookware options.
4. Staub Cast Iron Dutch Oven
Staub Cast Iron Dutch Oven is a high-quality, durable cookware proudly made in France.
It is made of enameled cast iron, known for its exceptional heat distribution and retention.
The Chistera spikes in the lid keep food moist by creating a rainforest effect that evenly returns juices onto the food, making it tender and perfect for slow-cooking.
The matte enamel interior browns food beautifully, without sticking, and enhances caramelization, making it excellent for searing.
The iconic Staub handles have an ergonomic grip, making it easy and comfortable to carry.
This versatile design goes from oven to table, making it perfect for serving straight from the oven.
The porcelain enamel glaze prevents moisture absorption during baking, so baked goods won't dry out.
It also diffuses heat gently and retains heat exceptionally well, making them perfect for various dishes.
- Capacity: The pot has a capacity of 3.75 quarts, suitable for serving 3-4 people.
- Self-basting Chistera spikes: The unique design of the Chistera spikes helps in continuous basting, keeping the food moist and flavorful.
- Excellent heat distribution and retention: The cast iron construction ensures exceptional heat distribution and retention for even cooking and perfect browning.
- Matte black enamel interior: It heats evenly and enhances caramelization, making it great for searing.
- Versatile design: The Dutch oven is oven-safe and can go straight from the oven to the table for easy serving.
- Enameled cast iron: The enameled cast iron material is durable, easy to clean, and doesn't require seasoning.
- Iconic Staub handles: The pot handles are designed with an ergonomic grip for easy and safe handling.
- Exceptional heat distribution and retention for even cooking and tender results
- Matte enamel interior enhances caramelization and creates a non-stick surface.
- Versatile design goes from oven to table for easy serving and presentation
- Enameled cast iron is easy to clean and does not require seasoning
- Relatively expensive compared to other Dutch ovens on the market
- Heavy weight can make it difficult to maneuver for some users.
- Not suitable for microwave use.
You May Also Like: Proctor Silex Rice Cooker: Our Top 3 Picks
The Staub rice cooker is a beautifully designed, functional, and stylish cookware. It is versatile, durable, and can perfectly cook various dishes.
While it may be a bit heavy and expensive, the Staub rice cooker is an investment that will last for many years and provide a high cooking performance.
Whether you are a professional chef or a home cook, the Staub rice cooker is worth considering for your next kitchen purchase.